miércoles, 3 de marzo de 2010

A tribute to Lessons Learned and Good Food


When you do not know about something, it is best to listen very carefully to what experts in the area have to tell you. Once, I used to live in Hibernia, currently named Ireland, and it was there where I learned lots of lessons. They should have been about very fancy small scaled stuff, but at the end, it turned out that learned the most about food.
The thing I remember the most is about Italian food. It is a well known fact that Italians are a kind of Taliban for the pasta. I use to buy the cheapest pasta from LIDL, preferably the coloured one, as I found it funny in the plate. It was only when I met "F the Tall" (as SenilDion would appropriately named him once), in the great city of Dublin, that I learned about different kind of pasta.
I have to say that, at first it shocked me that he would pay two Euro for the stuff, but in honour to the truth, they were well expended, and well combined with sardines or whatever else.
But man is the only animal that trips over the same rock twice and I found myself in Potosi, buying pasta from a Chola in the market for about 0.01 Euro/Kg. Then, I got to know why the tag was that, as the pasta became a nasty chunk of dough.
I did as a good scientist would do (not that I have ever been one); Review past experiments and consult with the great minds of that particular subject...The information was there, in the back of my memory, "F the Tall" showed me the light. Although I knew that the price to pay was high, like most good things in life. I was ready to pay it, no matter what. Imported pasta ain't cheap in La Paz, but the deal is fair. Do you want delicatessen food in a HIPC, you have to pay it...
Exchange rate: 1 Peso Boliviano= 0.1 Euro.
Therefore I spent 2.6 Euro! New World Record?


Ratita and Menditxu expending their dimes in DeCecco
pasta in a supermarket of La Paz, capital of Bolivia.

3 comentarios:

  1. jajaja muy buena la foto!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Ana (prima aparejatriz)4 de marzo de 2010, 7:38

    Bueno, ya sabéis, para la próxima debeis llevar en la cabeza la transformación monetaria, como hacíamos aquí al principio con el cambio de moneda (peseta-euro). De todas formas, siempre esta bien probar un poco de delicatesen, ¿no?.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. In reality I check with "F the Tall" and he pays 2.2-2.5 Euro for the same thing in Dublin. Cconsidering the extra 6000Km to arrive all the way from "the Boot" to "the Peace", I am starting to consider it cheaper than expected!

    ResponderEliminar

¿Y tú que piensas de esto? No seas tímido y habla: